Friday, June 15, 2007

People...

Why do people act the way they do? Nice, mean, rude, cheerful...what makes them do it? Why is it that one person can be mean and enjoy it, while someone can be nice and enjoy it just the same? People are weird...I'm not talking about mentally challenged people, just people like you or me. No one can ever be normal because everyone's perceptions of what "normal" means are so different. I guess the proverb "One man's trash is another man's treasure" applies to people, too. While one person can despise another with every fiber of their being, that other person can be the highlight of yet another person's world. How does that happen? Is it in our very genes to be pre-disposed to a certain characteristic, or drawn to a certain characteristic in other people? Is it in the way we're raised? How else could you explain why nice people end up with mean people, and why mean people can still have friends? I won't try to unravel people in just one post, because honestly, no one will ever be able to at all, let alone in a paragraph. People far more brilliant than me have tried, and failed. People are just far too strange and different to ever figure them out fully. I'll just have to settle for the notion that no matter how different someone might be from you, they still deserve friends and people to love and be loved by. School bully, or convicted killer, or just your average joe, everybody needs somebody to love.

4 comments:

Rick said...

I have learned that there is no such place called "normal." I guess there's no such person called Normal either. (Norman or Norma is about as close as they come.)

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Valarie said...

I never liked the word "normal." I don't think it has as much to do with how we are raised as it does the personality we are born with. I have a son who is the sweetest little guy on the face of the earth and a little girl who is...well, she is a force to be reckoned with!!

Rick said...

Thanks Eimly for the comment about my comment in Dawn's comment section. My daughter, home from college, helped me with that - a little.

Rick

L Harris said...

Saw your post on Dawn's blog. We are hoping to be having our 6th as well. Need more big families. Just thought I'd pop in to say hi.